Walls of Phalaenopsis orchid blooms
The event, the Christian Dior fashion show in Paris showcasing the Autumn 2012 collection by designer Raf Simons.
Thousands upon thousands of fresh flower blooms clipped and inserted into massive walls decorating each room in a different colour palette.
Mixed fresh roses cover the walls
The logistics of working with as perishable a product as fresh flowers combined with the massive amount of labour required to install this makes for an impressive feat.
Blue delphiniums clipped and picked in by the thousands
Thousands of tiny blue delphinium blooms are inserted by hand ( or many hands!). The walls were first covered with stacked bricks of flower foam, then covered in chicken wire to keep them in place.
This behind the scenes video shows a fascinating glimpse into the project as it was being prepped and installed.
The beautiful results are eye popping.
Behind the scenes, Flowers at Dior Paris 2012
Happy Valentine’s Day
Just like people, flowers come in hundreds of shapes and sizes.
When it comes to Valentine’s Day gifts, carefully selecting the flower varieties and colours you send will result in a thoughtful customized gift your sweetheart will treasure. The first step is to consider your sweetheart’s preferences.
- · What colours does she (or he) like? Men respond well to crisp and vivid colours such as reds, oranges or purple. Women tend to relish pastel tones of pinks, peaches and lavenders.
- · Does she have any favourite flowers? What are his hobbies? Our expert designers at Helen Blakey Flowers can create arrangements that revolve around your sweetheart’s favourite hobby, sport or past time.
Ask yourself the message you wish to convey. Consult with us, your florist, we can explain the assortment of possibilities available. To get the best selection and ensure prompt delivery, call the week before Valentines Day. When you call, have the necessary information handy. Recipient’s name, full address, phone number, what you wish to send, your card message, and method of payment.
Celebrate Valentines Day All Weekend
With Valentine’s Day falling on a Tuesday this year, it is a perfect opportunity to celebrate all weekend long.
- · Send flowers to your sweetheart at work on Friday Feb. 10th with a note saying “Looking forward to a romantic weekend” or “I couldn’t wait to say I love you.” She will be the first to receive Valentine’s Day flowers.
- · Surprise your sweetheart by having flowers delivered to her at home on Saturday Feb. 11th.
- · Send her flowers at work on Monday Feb. 13th with a note that says “I couldn’t wait another day to tell you how much I love you.” She will be amazed.
Valentine’s Day Colours
Red is a traditional Valentine’s Day colour. Other combinations also will WOW your sweetheart. Here are some popular colours and combinations for this Valentine’s Day.
- Red, pinks and purple.
- Hot pink, orange and lime.
- Mixed purple shades accented with lime green.
- Orange and red for a hot and spicy combination.
- Hot pink, chartreuse green and orange sherbert tones are appealing to the young at heart.
- Vibrant hot pinks.
- Monochromatic (flowers all in the same colour family).
Send flowers to your Man
- Birds of Paradise paired with orange carnations and purple statice.
- Tropical flowers with orange roses and a single red rose. Ask for them to be arranged in a contemporary vase with some bold foliage.
- Plants such as Anthuriums, Bromelaids or other succulents.
- Phalaenopsis Orchid plants.
Send flowers to your Mom
- A lovely mix of blooms, such as lilies, alstromeria, roses and gerbs with beautiful foliages for texture and contrast.
- For a “hip” mom, send something bright and spirited, such as orange or hot pink roses and tulips.
- Flowers in her favourite colour.
Call the expert staff at Helen Blakey Flowers to arrange for a stunning display of your affections for all the people you love!
Our direct phone number is (416) 291-2117.
Our secure website is www.helenblakeyflowers.com.
Order early to avoid disappointment.